Tuesday, July 27, 2010

FLYING GEESE BLOCK-ONE OF MY FAVORITE PATTERNS

Flying Geese block. I doubt if you'll have a problem with points once you finish this tutorial.
I think this is a fun, fast, and easy block to do. 

Cut the rectangles 3 1/2" x 6 1/2".
Cut the squares 3 1/2".

Press squares in half diagonally.  Make sure you press the corners accurately and to the point.

Pin one square to the rectangle and sew on the diagonal line.

Shows my stitching where I sewed on the diagonal line.

I folded it over and pressed.

I sewed the other square on the rectangle. 

I folded it over and pressed.
You need the 1/4" seam allowance at the top.

Wrong side of the block.
See where the stitches cross at the top and makes an X.  You need that, because that is showing you where the tip is on the other side.  When you sew, you sew with this side facing you so you can stitch in the middle of the X so you can get the tip without cutting it off.

I'am sewing a flying geese patch to a rectangle, and I have the rectangle on the bottom, and the wrong side of the flying geese patch on top, so I can see where the stitches cross to make the X.  Then, I sew in the middle of the X to get a point, and not cut it off.

See the X's in these patches?  I sewed thru the middle of them when stitching my 1/4" seam.

Press the seams in opposite directions.

When sewing the two pieces of the block together, I put a straight pin thru one side right at the tip of the point.

I put the same pin thru the other piece right at the tip of the point.

I then, put a straight pin on each side, right next to the straight pin.  I then pull the center straight pin out.  I also put a pin on each end of the block in case I have to "ease" the fabric while sewing it together.

Get bumps in your center blocks?  Well, you won't if you take out the two stitches above the stitching line.

Then press flat with your fingers.

Press block on the right side.  Points are fine, no bump in the center, and block lays nice and flat.

2 comments:

  1. Great directions, great tutorial. I didn't have any problems making this block! Love it.

    hugz
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing it, I will definately do it that way

    ReplyDelete